This easy sweet potato soup recipe brings all the sweet and savory flavors of fall and winter to the table!
Sweet potatoes are simmered in a cream broth with ginger and other warm spices. It’s all blended together for a deliciously creamy favorite.
- Reminiscent of Butternut Squash Soup, this sweet potato soup recipe is smooth, velvety and oh-so-cozy.
- Sweet potatoes are inexpensive and delicous; they’re packed with fiber to keep you full and fuel up for those long winter days!
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Soup
- Sweet Potatoes and Apple: Use about 1 ½ pounds of peeled and cubed sweet potatoes, frozen will work just fine too (you’ll need about 4 cups frozen). A diced apple adds some freshness and balances the sweetness of the potatoes.
- Onion, Garlic, Celery: These three form an aromatic base and create a savory depth of flavor.
- Seasonings and Ginger: Curry powder and a piece of fresh ginger root add a bit of warm spice to this recipe. If you don’t have ginger root, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger can be used. For some heat, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Broth and Cream: I prefer the flavor of this recipe with chicken broth. For a vegetarian version, swap it for vegetable broth. Heavy cream adds a rich finish to this sweet potato soup recipe – it can be replaced with coconut milk.
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup
- Soften onion, garlic, and celery in butter. Add sweet potatoes, apple, broth, and spices.
- Simmer until tender and puree the soup.
- Stir in cream and simmer a few minutes (per recipe below).
Ladle it into a bowl and garnish with crumbled bacon, homemade croutons, a dollop of yogurt, sour cream, or chives.
Storing Sweet Potato Soup
- Keep leftover sweet potato soup covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in the fridge and reheat on the stovetop.
- Freeze fresh batches of soup in zippered bags for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
- To reheat, pulse with the immersion blender to blend the milk solids and re-season as desired.
Did you make this Sweet Potato Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Sweet Potato Soup
A velvety blend of sweet potatoes, aromatic spices, and a hint of creaminess that’s perfect for chilly days.
Melt the butter in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and celery and cook until tender.
Stir in the broth, sweet potatoes, apple, ginger, curry powder, and ⅛ teaspoon each salt & black pepper.
Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are very tender.
Remove the ginger and puree the soup with a hand blender.
Add heavy cream and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Top with crumbled bacon, croutons, and chives if desired.
- Curry powder can be replaced with a cinnamon stick. Remove the cinnamon stick before pureeing.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper for a bit of heat.
- To make this dairy free, replace heavy cream with full fat coconut milk.
- If blending in a regular blender, be sure to allow the steam to escape while blending pressure can build in the blender. To allow steam to escape, I gently hold the lid in place ensure it isn’t tightly sealed or lightly open the center piece. Cover with a kitchen towel if needed.
Calories: 395 | Carbohydrates: 45.93g | Protein: 6.22g | Fat: 21.75g | Saturated Fat: 12.04g | Cholesterol: 63.07mg | Sodium: 896.6mg | Potassium: 898.2mg | Fiber: 7.06g | Sugar: 13.16g | Vitamin A: 24914.54IU | Vitamin C: 21.49mg | Calcium: 100.51mg | Iron: 1.64mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.