You know that spring has sprung when coconut cake recipes start appearing!
This easy coconut cake is light, fluffy, and moist with lots of coconut flavor!
It’s the perfect holiday cake for Easter and Mother’s Day, but also an excellent addition to a summer picnic or bbq!
The Best Coconut Cake
- This coconut cake recipe comes out incredibly moist and delicious.
- It’s jam-packed with coconut flavor in both the cake and the frosting.
- It uses simple ingredients that are easy to find and most of which are likely in your cupboard.
- It’s really easy to make and almost as fast as a boxed mix but tastes so much better.
- Decorate this cake with toasted coconut flakes, slivered almonds, shaved chocolate, fresh fruit, or even edible flowers for a beautiful presentation.
Ingredients for Coconut Cake
Batter – Use all purpose flour for this cake. Ensure that the eggs and butter are at room temperature and that you use unsalted butter.
Coconut Milk – The secret to this cake is in the addition of coconut milk! Use unsweetened full fat canned coconut milk (not light) for the best results.
Frosting – This is a simple and delicious coconut frosting. Ensure you purchase coconut cream (not cream of coconut).
How to Make Coconut Cake
- Whisk dry ingredients per the recipe below.
- Cream the butter and sugar and then beat in the eggs. Add flour and coconut milk.
- Pour the batter into round cake pans and bake.
- Cool completely and frost with coconut frosting.
Storing Coconut Cake
- Keep leftover coconut cake covered in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Use toothpicks to keep plastic wrap off the top of the cake.
- Coconut cake can be frozen with or without frosting. For unfrosted, wrap layers in plastic wrap and then foil for up to 3 months.
- For a fully frosted cake, place it in the freezer for about 2 hours to freeze the frosting and then freeze it as recommended for an unfrosted cake. Thaw layers of the finished cake at room temperature.
Other easy spring-themed cakes that guarantee baking success are coconut pie bars, a carrot cake, and this easy coconut layer cake that’s perfect for a crowd. Try it with cream cheese frosting or vanilla buttercream frosting.
Coconut Cake is super moist & flavorful with a coconut buttercream frosting. It’s the perfect spring dessert for a crowd!
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, shredded coconut, baking powder, and salt.
In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add in vanilla.
With the mixer on low, beat in the flour mixture in 2 parts, alternating with coconut milk. Divide batter between prepared pans.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into centre of the cakes comes out clean.
Transfer the cake pans to a wire rack and allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely on the rack before frosting, about 1 hour.
With a whisk attachment on a stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
Gradually add sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt beating until incorporated. Whisk in coconut extract.
Gradually add coconut cream, beating until light and fluffy. Add salt to taste and beat until combined.
Ensure you are using unsweetened coconut cream (not cream of coconut) for the frosting. Use full fat coconut milk for the cake for the best results.
Keep leftover cake covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories: 619 | Carbohydrates: 81g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 168mg | Potassium: 168mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 63g | Vitamin A: 842IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Did your family love this Easy Coconut Cake? Leave us a rating and a comment below!